Hello strangers, care to join??
Please Login or register to see your Points
Sustainable Land Lab
The Sustainable Land Lab will be a living laboratory of two-year demonstration projects which will showcase innovative ideas and integrated strategies for transforming one of the St. Louis region’s
greatest challenges, vacant land, into an asset that advances sustainability. The Sustainable Land Lab will be initiated through a public competition launched November 2, 2012, as part of the Sustainable Cities Conference, hosted by Washington University in partnership with the City of St. Louis. Teams will compete for the opportunity to demonstrate their ideas through tangible projects at the scale of a single vacant lot.
- Raise awareness and foster public dialogue about the challenges and opportunities of vacant land, and reimagining it as a regional asset
- Spur innovative and replicable ideas for using vacant land to advance environmental, social, and economic sustainability
- Create tangible demonstration projects that:
- showcase interim and/or potential long-term uses of vacant lots
- provide ongoing opportunities for public education
- provide opportunities for data collection and observation of the impact of the solutions
- Build on and catalyze further neighborhood revitalization efforts in and around the project area
- Spark increased demand for creative, smart, and sustainable uses of under-utilized land in other neighborhoods
- Team registrants must be 18 years or older and able to sign lease agreement.
- Only one entry per team will be accepted.
- This is an open call for projects: Individuals, teams, community groups, for-profit companies and nonprofit organizations are all encouraged to enter.
- Nov 02—Public Kick-Off
- Dec 10—First Round Submissions Due
- Dec 17—First Round Announcement
- Jan 12—Second Round Charrette
- Jan 28—Second Round Submissions Due
- Feb 1 – 28—Public Exhibition
- Feb 19—Second Round Announcement
- Mar 18—Final Submissions Due
- Apr 04—Final Jury Review
- Apr 08—Announcement
- Apr 11—Final Event
- Apr 28—Ground-Breaking Ceremony
The Sustainable Land Lab Competition is intended to educate and inspire the St. Louis region to think differently about how we use vacant land. Competition organizers are looking for big ideas that rethink existing notions, while moving towards sustainable solutions that can be tested through a twoyear demonstration project. Successful projects will be responsive to the unique context of each lot, as well as the neighborhood context.
- Chip Crawford
- Rodney Crim
- Bruce Lindsey
- Sean Thomas
- Hank Webber
- Catherine Werner
Up to four winning teams will receive:
- $5,000 grant
- Two-year land lease for chosen lot
Download the competition brief
For more information click here