StreetFest Competition – IDEAS CITY 2013
The 2013 iteration of IDEAS CITY, the biennial festival created to explore the future city and to effect change, will take place in downtown New York from May 1–4, 2013.
The theme for IDEAS CITY 2013 is Untapped Capital. As the world’s resources continue to be endangered, depleted, and destroyed, we all need to imagine new solutions and develop innovative approaches and practices. Rather than focusing on deficits, IDEAS CITY 2013 will encourage intensive examination of surplus resources that may be under-recognized or underutilized: Untapped Capital. There are many ways of thinking about what might define “untapped capital,” ranging from people and raw materials, to ideas, networks, varied resources, and modes of communication. The topic of Untapped Capital provides a touchstone for alternative thinking about new methodologies, new solutions, and new goals.
The winning entry will have these characteristics:
- Aspires to reinvent the typical street fair tent
- Is modular; one unit can become three can become seven, providing scalability and the ability to go from an intimate platform to a larger one
- Is conscientious of the materials used and their impact on the environment
- Is easy to produce and install
- The selected project will work closely with the StreetFest Task Force committee and will be commissioned to produce, construct, install, and disassemble the final design.
- Each submitting team must have as a team leader an Architect and at least one Artist or one Engineer.
- Additional team members from other disciplines are encouraged.
- The team leader must have graduated or have started an independent practice within the last ten years. At least one of the team members is living or practicing within New York City or its boroughs. Read more
- Jan 18, 2013—Registration Deadline
- Jan 21, 2013—Deadline to Submit Questions
- Jan 23, 2013—Common Answers Publication on Website
- Feb 8-9, 2013—Competition Submission Deadline
- Mid-February, 2013—Winner Announcement
- Mid-February-April 30, 2013—Design-Management-Construction period
- May 04, 2013—StreetFest Date
- All submission materials must have a Title and include the Identification Number (provided to Entrants via e-mail between January 21-23, 2013).
- No names or identifying information should be placed on any document except on the form inside the identification envelope.
Admission fee:$50 per entry
- Cristobal Correa
- Eva Franch i Gilabert
- Tamara Greenfield
- Robert Hammond
- Steven Holl
- Lisa Phillips
- The total budget for design, construction, assembly, and disassembly is $20,000.
- Any costs in excess thereof are the sole responsibility of the Architect.
- The winner Architect will work with the StreetFest task force committee to realize the design and work with the organizers to obtain all permits and will be responsible for project management with manufacturers/vendors to produce the project.
- All other production and fabrication expenses, exceeding $20,000, shall be assumed by the Architect.
- Additionally, the selected team will be awarded a design/construction/managing fee in the amount of $7,500.
For more information click here