BONFIRE – Open International Architectural Competition
Papay Gyro Nights Art Festival and Papa Westray (Papay) are proud to announce First Open International Architectural Competition “BONFIRE” – grassroots celebration of an ancient tradition of Bonfires and new ideas in architecture.
BONFIRE is architectural ideas competition and participants are invited to establish own limits and interpretation of Judges Statement, to present most inspiring, thoughts provoking and innovative architectural design. Papa Westray (locally known as Papay) is 4 miles long and 1 mile wide and representing all Orkney in miniature: sea cliffs, sandy beaches, green undulating fields. The island has 7000 years of dramatic history of human inhabitation, fragile environment of the present and uncertainty of the future – the world in miniature, where new ideas can arrive and to be presented in greater clarity.At this stage no specific site for design proposals is defined and participants have opportunity and freedom to explore our island (please use Google map for information) and suggest the site, or to focus on the BONFIRE design itself.
- Registration Deadline: 11 December 2012, GMT
- Submission Deadline: 12 December 2012, 18:00 GMT
The Bonfire Competition objective
- To construct and combust a fire at Orkney’s festivities.
- To use fire as that which sustains – a unique combination of constructed order and combustible disorder: Conception vs. Destruction.
- To be cognizant of the Second Law of Thermodynamics, reinforcing the intrinsic link between entropy and architecture.
- To take into account the chief principals: Scale, Multiple levels of intensity and materials.
- To consider the history, culture and uniqueness of the Orkney Islands, their location at the top of the world – a place of alternating midnight suns and reigning darkness – lending special meaning to fire from the beginnings of the Orkney civilization to the present.
- To go through the process of building a fire, to building a building with and for fire and all of its attendant meanings and myths.
- To honor the fire that burns in your mind recognizing that death is an endless birth.
Submission (by email only)
- One A2 sheet, Landscape Format (420×594 mm / 16.5×23.5 inches),File Format: High-Quality jpeg,300dpi (7016×4961 pixels) / 150dpi (3508×2480 pixels),Plan(s), elevation(s), section(s) in any scale + any other supporting visual, or text information
- One video file of the proposal’s model / animation:File Format: MPEG4, WMV, MOV, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVI no longer then 4min (no sound, except if the sound is an essential part of the design)
- Text in English ( design explanation – 300 words maximum – can be part of your submission email )
- One A4 sheet, Landscape Format (210×297mm /8.3×11.7 inches),File Format: High-Quality jpeg,300dpi (3508×2480 pixels) / 150dpi (1754×1240 pixels),One video still / frame for print
Your email’s subject: “BONFIRE _ YOURNUMBER”.
The registration number must be used to name your submission files: (YOURNUMBER.jpg and YOURNUMBER.mov).
Your email should include the following information:
- your registration number
- design explanation – maximum 300 word
- One A2 image file (drawings) .jpeg
- One video file
- One A4 image file (video still) .jpeg
- Daniel Holguin
- Glenn Fulk
- Eva Franch
- Stefan Roeschert
- Molly Heintz
- BONFIRE Competition Jackpot Prize is a prize raised through participants and private donations and sponsors contributions.
- The Prize(s) will be allocated at the discretion of the Judges.
- The amount of the Jackpot Prize will be announced together with the competition results.
For more information click here