CO-LAB design office is an emerging award winning architecture practice based in Los Angeles.
This is a two-phase open competition to generate visionary ideas for a safe trail and railroad crossing that provides access Lower Trestles. After the eight-week Phase 1 period, 4-5 finalists will be selected to develop their designs in Phase 2 with a $5000+ stipend each.
The design should serve both surfers and visitors to the beach, restore wetlands that have been damaged by the path, preserve and augment vistas, and offer education about the history of the site and the coastal environment.
The challenge seeks to create innovative visions for a path leading to Trestles that:
- Provide safe access between the drop-off point, the railroad, and the beach.
- Restore and protect the coastal wetlands that have been damaged by foot traffic.
- Provide opportunities for view points and education.
- Provide solutions for accessibility, including ADA compliant facilities.
Check Registration Requirements & Submission Requirements
Phase 1: Conceptual Design
- Feb 17, 2010—Competition Opens
- Apr 17, 2010—Deadline for Registration
- Apr 17, 2010—Deadline for Submission
- Apr 19 – May 06, 2010—Jury Review
- May 08, 2010—Winners Announced at the 6.0 Lowers Pro Event!
Phase 2: Schematic Design
- May 10, 2010—Schematic Design Competition Begins
- Aug 02, 2010—Phase 1 Finalists Displayed at the US Open of Surfing Event
- Aug 17, 2010—Phase 2 Submission Deadline
- Aug 23 – August 31, 2010—Jury Review
- Sept 12, 2010—Phase 2 Winners Announced at WCT Hurley Pro Event!
- Steve Long
- Bjarke Ingels
- Mitchell Joachim
- Pam Omidyar
- Rick Erkeneff
- Rusty Long
- Meghan Dambacher
- Lisa Carpenter
- Jodie Nelson and more
Award: up to 5 Finalists: each awarded Phase 2 design stipend of $5,000.00
For more information click here